Author Topic: Isetta Questions...  (Read 7319 times)

racerherbie

Isetta Questions...
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »
Ok.  I got my 57 Isetta finally on the road and have a couple of questions;
1) When I let the clutch out in 1st gear I get some real clunking and hopping going on in the rear.  If I am real real real slow and super smooth it doesn't do it.  I am by no means dumping the clutch..just using the clutch like normal.   I can't tell if it's the clutch, chain drive, or the rear end just bouncing.  It's strange.
2) I had a very strange thing happen.   I went over a big bump and my front right wheel went into a severe wobble.   I stopped and checked it all out and things seemed fine.  I drove some more and it never came back.
3) When I drive around 40mph I get a humming noise from what I think is the chaincase.  I would expect it to make some noise, just not sure on how loud it should be!
4) How can you tell if the rear shocks are truly toast?

Thanks!

Jim Janecek

Re: Isetta Questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
1) When I let the clutch out in 1st gear I get some real clunking and hopping going on in the rear.  If I am real real real slow and super smooth it doesn't do it.  I am by no means dumping the clutch..just using the clutch like normal.   I can't tell if it's the clutch, chain drive, or the rear end just bouncing.  It's strange.

Check your drive shaft and drive donuts to see if they are cracked or broken.
Could also be a faulty/broken clutch plate.

2) I had a very strange thing happen.   I went over a big bump and my front right wheel went into a severe wobble.   I stopped and checked it all out and things seemed fine.  I drove some more and it never came back.

Common problem with Isettas  - the "Shake of Death".  It is a result of worn steering silent blocs (usually).
There are 4 of them in the Steering, 2 on the Tie Rod (one at each end) and 2 in the Left wheel well.
They should ALL be replaced.

3) When I drive around 40mph I get a humming noise from what I think is the chaincase.  I would expect it to make some noise, just not sure on how loud it should be!

Is there oil in the chaincase?  Could be a bad bearing.

4) How can you tell if the rear shocks are truly toast?

Remove one/both and suspend them while attaching a weight of 3Kg (6.6lbs) and timing how long it takes for each one to extend.  should take 16-19 seconds.  The rear shocks are SINGLE ACTING, (not double acting like modern shocks)

racerherbie

Re: Isetta Questions...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Thank for your answers!!

I will take a look at everything this weekend.