Author Topic: 74 zagato zele tech info - wiring diagrams  (Read 22177 times)

1974 elcar

74 zagato zele tech info - wiring diagrams
« on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Wiring info

1974 elcar

Re: 74 zagato zele tech info - wiring diagrams
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:47:46 PM »
More wiring diagram and connection information.  a good test to see if car has wrong connections IS to use a large jump battery starter pack. Connect starter to each battery connector seperately ALSO make sure to turn on built in light with jump starter. A short will show unusually high load and dim light. Connect jumper cables to battery connectors first then plug into battery jump starter, just enough to make a connection. Get ready to quickly unplug if light dims showing a short to avoid battery damage and an over current condition. The OEM motor and---- trolley car or subway style switch (rated @ 550amps per OEM label!!!!).------ Italian made are very designed and  will last forever. The drive train is well engineered and worth restoring since simple and industrial in quality and durability, strong and durable. Bravisimo!! Restore those durable made zeles!!!!
Fantastico!!!!---!-!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:56:01 PM by 1974 elcar »

1974 elcar

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
This post is created to help preserve zeles as they originally were made.  The battery technology is much better now .  I plan on putting lithiums in this thing.  Also battery meters are better now such as constantly lit LED volt meters. Will post pics when project is done, getting Fiat 500 brake cylinder rebuilt used for brakes.

The battery connectors were disconnected from speed selector switch since battery connections were wrong.  ALL switch selector positions connections were carefully mapped out.

This is closest thing to any tech info available on the web for a Zagato Zele. Place in Italy never responded to my request. An experienced  motor rebuilder can rewind this motor if needed be. But I seriously doubt this will ever have to be done since  big and heavy, definetely super duty and industrial grade.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:09:50 PM by 1974 elcar »

wespiece

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:55 AM »
here are some of the factory wiring diagrams - I have a full service manual but this is the meat of it
wp

wespiece

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
this is a link to master cylinder you need - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-N-D-F-L-Master-Brake-Cylinder-New-/311174556734?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item487372ec3e&vxp=mtr

$39 off ebay - better to buy the whole thing than try to rebuild it

1974 elcar

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
I believe have different version of wiring for.main drive circuit. My shunt resistor is just one big coil with no taps.  Also my motor is only 3 terminals.  The drive circuit is always on, unless in 0 position.  I think thats what owners.manual states too.  I'm going to use a keyed sliding door lock, with a made mount to replace steering lock for anti theft since drive circuit always active.  The sub circuits are monkeyed with and archaic. I'm going to rewire new harness in a simplified and straight forward manner. Wire just hanging from dash, dash homemade replacent. Each circuit will have its own color code and own wiring, not the cost cutting done at factory to save on money where circuits are tapped off each other when can. I'm surprised such an expensive car for its time has such shoddy wiring unless hap hazard rework done. Will make own wiring diagrams of new harness for easy reference. May install LED headlights. Each speed wiil have its own volt meter to accurated track battery voltage drop. Easiest way since original speed selector used.  Voltage can be seen at any speed needed for driving conditions. Cruddy add on  amp meters are to be scrapped, volt meters are now self lit for night driving. Will install 12v socket,usb on dash for cab. Etc pics to follow...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:08:04 PM by 1974 elcar »

1974 elcar

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
hello wes,

Thanks for help and  advice, always good talking to you!  That flasher hand diagram helps...I need to completely rewire dash since monkeyed with. My car has only two solenoids and no aLtap shunt as stated, must be earlier version. later versions of this car probaly has revised circuitry.  I can't make out what the pos and neg heavey wires are since they merge, are these different colors in service manual???  There's a red wire from pedal that connects to where specifically in circuit, positive  since red??  please reply...what does red wire from pedal connect to?????

steveg

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:49:28 AM »
I have a complete wiring diagram (factory) and a few other electric car diagrams you could use for the Zelle..

if its the three post motor (most common) the shunt is needed for field control for high speed (30MPH!!) without  the shunt the motor is held back by its own magnetic field, wasting current.  email me and I will hook you up.
steveg scg13803@yahoo.com