Author Topic: Isetta Split wheels question  (Read 6684 times)

gregp58

Isetta Split wheels question
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
I recently restored my Isetta split rims. Sandblasted and painted them. They came out great and I added tubes from Isetta's R Us and tires from Coker. I was recently reading my old Minutia magazines that I was able to obtain with a “wanted ad” here. It mentioned that there is supposed to be a rubber ring on the inside, going around the diameter of the wheel where they press together. I guess to protect the tube from the inside groove. I installed the tubes without them since I didn’t realize they even existed. Is this going to be a problem? The inside of the rims are probably better than new and use will be under 200 miles per year when the car is finished.
Greg

Jim Janecek

Re: Isetta Split wheels question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »
This is a pic of the only example of a "wheel wrap" available for a 10" wheel.
I found this maybe 12 years ago.  I stuck it on an Isetta split rim to see what it would look like.  The tire could not be installed without trimming the wrap down. 
I have never seen one installed on an Isetta split rim. I have pulled original tires off rims and never seen anything.
They might make sense for some other form of split wheel but were not something standard on the Isetta as far as I know.

gregp58

Re: Isetta Split wheels question
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Jim,
When I pulled the original wheels off there was a 1-2" strip around the center section of 2 of the wheels. I thought it was part of the original tube as it was the same material as the tubes and on the other two wheels it was bonded to the tubes so I assumed the tubes were coming apart.
I guess I won't worry about it. Thanks for the information.
Greg