Author Topic: Looking for classic Fiat 500 engine help  (Read 6624 times)

marcus550

Looking for classic Fiat 500 engine help
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Hello!  New to the forum.  I had a '79 Mini Cooper until last year, sold it on and then imported a '70 Fiat 500L.  I'm trying to get that Fiat on the road here in Massachusetts!  The supposedly rebuilt engine has low oil pressure.  I just don't know where to start with this engine, what typically goes wrong.  Anyone out there with experience on these 2 cylinder air cooled cars?  Or can anyone point me to an active forum for the old Fiats?  Thanks! 

marcus550

Re: Looking for classic Fiat 500 engine help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
Based on the overwhelming response (queue the crickets), I've had to tackle this alone.  I bought a larger Fiat 126 oil pump and timing cover, but installing that I noticed the crank had a lot of play in it.  The engine is now completely disassembled and scattered all over the garage.  The crank was ruined so a new one is on its way from Europe.  Hope I can get it all back together in time for Micro Car Day at Larz.  Actually, I hope I can get it back together period. 

alan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
About those crickets. Sorry, would have helped if I could have.
That's a good lookin' 500. Despite their popularity, large production numbers and good parts support, I'm not aware of any super 500 sites based in the US. I think there is a good forum from the UK. Mirafiori is real popular and interesting, but seems to favor 124 128 131 and even 850.

The Yahoo microcar board is active, with quite a few Fiat 500 afficianados <microcar-minicar@yahoogroups.com>

Join the Vintage MicroCar Club, if you haven't already. The club publication is really beautiful and informative, may provide a few more resources.

You'll get it back together and running sweet, I have no doubt. I don't have one at the moment, but they are fun, easy to own micros. You'll enjoy it even more after having the opportunity to repair that engine.

Cheers, Alan :-[

The Anglia guy

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
I wish I could have helped as well. Hope you can get it running.